Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mamama's Pongal

When I was a kid, I used to love this pongal made by mamama(maternal grandmother in konkani). I have tried to replicate this recipe to the dot but I wasn't able to. I think I don't have my grannys touch. To my surprise even my daughter love this pongal. Post my marriage, whenever i used to be alone at home this was my breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now Whenever my mood is off, I cook this.

Ingredients:
Onion: 1 finely chopped
Tomato: 3 finely chopped
Rice: 1 cup
Moong dal: 1/2 cup
Corainder leaves finely chopped : 1/2 cup
Salt
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp

To temper:
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Urad dal : 1 tsp
Green chillies: 3 to 4 based on spice level
Curry leaves

Procedure:
  • Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they start to crackle add urad dal
  • Add in curry leaves and green chillies
 
  • Add onions and fry them till translucent

  •  Wash the Moong dal and rice. Add this to onion along with water, salt and turmeric powder.
  •  Once the rice and dal is partially cooked, put in the tomatoes.
  •  When everything is almost cooked, add in corainder leaves and let it cook for some more time.
  • Voila, hot pongal ready to eat. You can eat this with tamarind chutney, raita, pickel or even with hot and sweet tomato ketchup.

     Off I go to eat my mamama's version of pongal.

No comments: