Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Baby Steps to Marathon

Lalbagh is a very beautiful place for morning walkers/Joggers. Few years back, I used to be a regular walker in Lalbagh.
It's a pleasant experience to walk in such a beautiful place with green scenery and birds chirping. During such walks in summer, I saw a bunch of people requesting people to register for a marathon. I didn't even dare to go near the booth as i considered myself not fit enough to run.I used to play Kho-kho in school which need running and I was ashamed to accept the fact that I was scared to run post the weight gain even on  the treadmill. Somehow there was always a feeling that I should have at least participated and that desire had turned into a dream without my knowledge.

Every year the same event used to happen and I would chicken out. Post pregnancy I started working out. I started with walk and then moved to treadmill walking in my apartment gym. I saw my friend Meenakshi run on treadmill. She motivated me everyday to run indirectly. I started with 2 mins and slowly moved on to 20 mins but still a 5 km run was a big no for me.

This year one of my resolution was to at least participate in a 5k. I skipped my gym and started running outdoors, Initially it was difficult. Till Feb 1, I was just doing 2k in 30 mins. I somehow pushed myself and got my run statistics better.

Contours Gym had organised Contours women's day run on 6th March. My Sister not only encouraged me to run but participated to give me company so that I don't chicken out at the nth moment. I finished the 5K in 35 minutes 41 Seconds and the feeling of completing the run and getting a Finisher medal was awesome.

Finisher Medal
I owe a big thank you to Meenakshi for encouraging me to run and to my sister who joined me in the run. Lastly to my hubby who puts me back on track whenever I am ready to give up. 

Post the run, believe me I want to run every possible 5K in the city. Hoping and wishing that I will be making the shift from 5K to 10 K soon. To sum it up, thrive to have a fitter body than a slimmer one.

No comments: